Thursday, June 4, 2009

Regression


Since Gabriel was born, Emerald has been horribly regressing. I have let it happen because I know that she is just feeling insecure and she will grow out of it on her own, but it is starting to get frustrating. She will drink his unattended bottles (even if that means taking it while Mom or Dad is burping him), exposing herself to the thrush, which is just not sanitary, as well as being expensive for formula. To counterbalance that, we have been giving her a bottle of milk at the same time that he gets his formula, which keeps her from stealing it, but she often won't eat her food because she wants to eat like Gabriel eats--reclined in Mom's arms, getting a bottle. I am worried she is not getting the nutrients she needs, but everyone assures me that she will eat when she is hungry.

She is also having trouble sleeping. She cries out in her sleep, and when we get in her room to check on her, she is breathing heavily, drenched in sweat, and her little heart is racing. She is trying to make the big move back to Mom and Dad's bed, but I am absolutely unwilling--it is surprising how much room the smallest person in the bed can take up. Not to mention, one of my friend's sisters has had to push two queen size beds to accommodate herself, her husband, and the 6 and 7 year old children that are not wanting to sleep by themselves. The thought makes me dizzy--Emerald has a wonderful toddler bed my parents made for her, yellow with a garden border decorating it. I love her bed, I will keep it forever.

Besides the trouble sleeping, and the attachment to bottles, she also wants to swing in his swing, sit in his bouncy chair, and have Mama carry her everywhere. While good for my upper body strength, it is getting difficult to accomplish all my other chores while she is hanging off me. And his chair and swing were not intended for children of her...impressive girth. She is going to break them, and they are such lifesavers when Emerald is feeling clingy and I need a safe place to put him down.

I know that she will grow out of all of this, but as of right now, it is driving me nuts!!


~Andie~

No comments:

Post a Comment