Monday, June 1, 2009

Potty Training and Little Sickies

First, Gabriel--my little darling is the proud owner of his first low-grade fever. It's probably just teething or a little infection, maybe, but the poor dear hasn't wanted me to set him down even for a moment today. He spent most of the day sleeping in mama's arms and refusing food, so some good friends kept Emerald happy and entertained for me while Michael was at work. Luckily, I did get some time with her this evening, and hopefully Gabriel will be feeling better tomorrow.

Emerald is showing definite signs of wanting to potty train, especially around BM's. The other day, she woke up and looked me right in the eye and said "poo". I was obviously confused, so she made the hand sign for "make". I ask her what she means, and she sighs heavily, crawls to the floor and squats right in front of me, proceeding to "make". Goodness that girl...
Other than that, there are other clues--she will go and pick out a book, magazine, or comic to "read" during, or will bring me wipes and go in front of me. I am thinking she is ready for the concept to be introduced. 

So, I have never done this before, obviously. I have bought a book on clearance called "Once upon a Potty". Michael finds it a little obscene, but it is all I have today. I read the hints in the handbook my pediatrician's office hands out, and according to its advice, I sit Emerald on the potty fully dressed, and read her special book to her. She didn't like balancing, but she enjoyed the story, and all went well, until I showed her how to flush--she ran screaming from the room. First run, a colossal failure, but after Michael gets his paycheck in a few days, I will take her shopping to pick out some candy and a special potty, and we will try this again this weekend!

As it is, Gabriel is screaming his little heart out, so I must go tend him--any advice on potty training is always welcome!

--Andie--

No comments:

Post a Comment