Thursday, June 4, 2009

Day 1 of Potty Training


Today, Michael and I went and helped Emerald pick out her first big girl potty and "panties"!

As I have mentioned before, Emerald is showing definite signs of being ready, so I consulted my pediatrician's home guide that said she is a good age to give it a try and I got some general guidelines that might help ease the transition. So, this morning before Michael went to work, we packed up the kids and headed for Target.

The potty Emerald actually picked out sang a triumphant song every time she "goes" in her potty, but as it was twice as expensive, I have heard mixed reviews on the product itself, and we are not even sure she will take to potty training at all yet, we got the very practical transitional one--it can be a stand-alone potty, attach to the big toilet, and eventually become a stepping stool for when she is older. I don't really want her to view the potty as a toy, so we are holding off on the (somewhat obnoxious) singing toilet.

Per advice in my guide, I went ahead and picked up a package of the off-brand pull-ups for girls. Side note—pull-ups are EXPENSIVE!! Back to our story--she so loves her new big girl "panties". We are hoping this is the last pack of big diapers for her, as well as the last pull-up package. Once she shows noticeable headway with the potty training, we are going to have a special "party" in her honor--I know it's dorky, but I like celebrating milestones. I am going to get McDonalds for us three, put up some balloons, and bake a cake for the big girl--she will even get a present of us taking her to pick out her first big girl undies. Yes, I realize she will probably mess in those, but if I let her stay in the pull-ups for too long, I also know that she will have little incentive to progress.

Today, all we did was have her sit on the potty in front of her Wiggle show, fully dressed, so she can get used to it.

I will keep you updated on the progress!!


--Andie--

No comments:

Post a Comment