Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Birthdays

With my own impending birthday, I can't help but think I only have 3 more months to plan Emerald's 2nd birthday party. Some might call me over-anxious, but I believe the cost of the party should be broken up as much as possible so that you don't have a large amount to pay all at once. If I decide how I would like it to go now, I can buy decorations this month, presents in July, party favors in August, and food in September. Everything else keeps.

This year, I am thinking about going with a green, white, and art theme. I found a recipe for a cake decorated with M&M's that would go really well, and I was thinking of hand-making party hats and favor bags for her friends to decorate with markers or crayons and stickers. I suppose crayons are a better bet, since they won't stain little clothing, but this is just the beginning stages of thought. I had also considered a more lasting art present--there are "decorate your own cup" plastic coffee cups at Hobby Lobby for around 50 cents each. They each have four interchangeable Bible scenes, and are very cute. For party favors, I will use the bags they decorated and fill them with little coloring books, sticker pages, a four pack of crayons or chalk, and maybe a little children friendly candy. I don't think Michael and I could undertake the fiscal responsibility of feeding a large group of people, so I was thinking more along the lines of snack-y foods--cut up fruit and cheeses, crackers, cookies, and maybe juice boxes or not sugary punch, though I doubt there is such thing. I don't want to overload people on sweets, or I may end up getting stuck with too much birthday cake for us to finish off. 

These of course are all just ideas, and premature ideas at that. Emerald has definite likes and dislikes, but she has a true love and passion for art at this age, and I want to nurture that love. 

Hopefully, the whole party won't be over 2 or 3 hours, because there is always sleepy babies to think of. Present ideas are completely open at this point--I am thinking an art easel, or an adorable tutu. What she needs the most are tons of more clothes. That girl grows at an impossible rate. It's mildly maddening, but I do enjoy shopping for her. 

--Andie!--

No comments:

Post a Comment