Thursday, June 16, 2011

Oma and Grandpop Come to Stay

Sunday was my birthday--not really that huge of a deal when you are turning 24, but it is nice to be celebrated =)

Saturday, we had ventured out for the first time since the dreaded Wednesday and bought "groceries". I put groceries in quotations because we went without a list or even an idea of what we wanted in mind, and came back with a bunch of drinks and breakfast options, and nothing for actual meals. So breakfast turned out pretty awesome.

Oma and Grandpop--my mom and dad--were expected to get to Lubbock between 10 and noon, so I still spent most of the morning cleaning up. With 2- and 3- year-old's, heavy cleaning is an every day sort of event.

Side bar: You would think that would mean I would enjoy a meticulously, fastidiously clean home...no such luck. Any given day, it's going to look like I haven't lifted a finger in months, unless you catch me on that rare and glorious moment right between when I finish cleaning and when the kids notice and object heartily to it.

Back to my story: I finished up cleaning and Michael took me to get Five Guys Burgers and Fries for lunch because he knows I have been craving it like crazy. (Five Guys--the burger of choice for even master criminals like Norman Osborne! ...nothing? Nobody thinks that's funny? Okay, moving on...)

The reason I like Five Guys is that while the burgers and fries are just exceptionally good, they offer fresh jalapenos which really makes all the difference in the world to me from pickled jalapenos. What-a-Burger's pickled jalapenos are fine because they have the standard fast food burger, but with a real good burger, I want the fresh jalapenos.

As we settle in with our burgers, an episode of "Deadliest Warrior" on the TV....

Sorry--another side bar: when Michael was growing concerned for my half-crazed cleaning frenzy, he really wanted to cheer me up but didn't know how. For him, if he is in a bad mood then a certain short list of things will perk him right up--a Marie Callender's chicken alfredo dinner, a Chipotle burrito, Jack Daniels, Mythbusters....

Mike knows I hate Mythbusters, but maybe trying a new show would be the ticket in. In true boy fashion, Michael chooses "Deadliest Warrior"--basically, mythbusters about fighting. My first instinct was to be a little annoyed that Mike wanted to watch such an obviously BOY show, but it blew me away how much both of us really enjoyed ourselves. It is tons of fun, and we are both thoroughly addicted to it.

Back to the story...again: about halfway through, Mom and Dad show up--yay!!

I was secretly hoping that Erika--who was on vacation from the Peace Corp in Indonesia--would be a surprise visitor with them, but I knew it was impossible. She was leaving to go back on the 12th (Sunday) and I was just depressed that circumstances prevented me from seeing her this time.

Sunday was mostly a quiet day of us hanging out and talking, catching up. I like quiet days, and I relaxed considerably when I felt I didn't have to worry so very much any more. Mom and I took the kids to Market Street (the fun United) and got kabobs for dinner--steak, chicken, and tuna; plus basmati rice (I wanted jasmine, but Mike hates it--basmati is really tasty too, so it was still a win), side salads, and artisan country bread. I got the rest of the adults some fun beer, and got me and the kids old fashioned cream soda in glass bottles so we wouldn't feel left out. Ken and Rhonda stopped by to see us and give me these lovely purple flowers =)
We rented "Green Hornet" to watch with dinner, and it was a really good night, good birthday.

Monday, Mom took me and Emerald out shopping and we left the boys home alone to their own devices. First we went to Ross and Mom bought me this really pretty orange summer dress with white accents that looks surprisingly good on my skin, even though orange is NOT my (or anyone else's for that matter) color, plus maternity Capris. Michael was really upset before we left, so I bought him a just-because gift of a tablet speaker that he has really been wanting as well.

Lunch was a lot of fun because we went to Jason's Deli--Emerald got a hot dog with mustard and cheese, plus chocolate ice cream with chocolate syrup and was the happiest kid in the world. I got the salad bar; I am a total freak for healthy foods (they taste so yummy!). Emerald was getting pretty tired and whiny because it was getting close to nap time, but she wasn't too bad.

After Jason's, Mom took us to Wal-Mart and let Emerald pick out a swimming pool for the backyard, and we headed home. I was so tired and hurt so much from walking around too much, but Emerald, Gabriel, and I laid down for a nap and I bounced right back.


When it started to cool down some, we set up the pool and let the kids swim. We didn't want to get an inflatable pool because those keep getting holes, plus we'd have to blow it up....total pain, we have discovered. But this one is a really good size and no blowing up required!

Cassie from ECI came and did Speech for Gabriel while they were swimming and we talked about the ENT appointment and what that meant for Gabriel and the future. After she left, the kids swam so long and refused to get out that little Gabriel was shivering uncontrollably with little purple lips trembling. He was just having too much fun to stop!!

Michael had been wanting to take me out for my birthday, so that evening Mom and Dad ordered pizzas and stayed home with the kids while Michael and I went and saw "X-Men First Class" and walked around Barnes and Noble. I wore my pretty new orange dress, and we had so much fun together =)

Tuesday was the day Mom and I took Gabriel to get his hair cut. Michael and Dad stayed home again, this time keeping an eye on Emerald.

It was....a little traumatic.

The first time Gabe got his hair cut was in March--he was exhausted and silently cried as he stroked my hair. It was sad, but it was fairly easy. I hoped this time it would be the same way, so I could get my hair cut at the same time--Mom would hold Gabriel, and everything would be okay.


Gabriel kicked and screamed until he was red in the face; thrashing about and squalling as loud as I have ever heard him. For nearly the entire time, he was distraught, and the sound shredded my nerves into bits. I can't stand to listen to either of my kids be THAT upset, and if I had been holding him, I would have probably told them to stop to save him from the experience. As you can see from the picture, a successful haircut was completed, albeit a little choppy.


I got all my long, thick, beautiful pregnancy hair hacked off down into a little bob. I am still in the very sad stage of getting my hair done--the "why did I do this horrible thing?! I look like Bob Saget!" phase. But it is growing on me. The hair stylist did not actually do what I was specifically looking for, but I also don't have the words to express what I would like either, and this is definitely not bad...at least I don't think it is. It'll grow back and I can try something different if I want.

Tuesday afternoon we made Chocolate Chip Zucchini bread that is awesome--zucchini bread is my favorite anyway, and the chocolate chips added a lot of fun and sugar, which I like. I think Tuesday night we made fried pork chops, potatoes au gratin with bacon, and sauteed zucchini and asparagus. Really good meal, and the first time Michael ate a healthy amount of food.

Wednesday was Mom and Dad's last day--they wanted to spend some time with Jarrod and Julia before heading back home, so we only got a half day with them then. I gave mom a bunch of books I wanted to get rid of and she gave me a ton of scrapbooking supplies =)

All in all, it was a really great visit--both the kids really loved seeing their grandparents, and I really appreciated it. Michael went back to the doctor and got the all-clear to return to work on Monday, so we have him for just a few more days, which will be nice. We are looking forward to spending some time with him while he is actually awake.


~Andie~

2 comments: