Thursday, June 16, 2011

Getting Ready for Oma and Grandpop


I haven't updated in a few days because I have been busy as crazy cakes lately, so I will see if I can get out a post or two about our week.

Wednesday was our busy busy day where Michael went to the wound care center and Gabriel went to the ENT, and we found out that day that Michael couldn't go back to work for a week. He can't go out into the sunlight for long periods of time and he has to stay off his leg; plus he is taking the antibiotics that make him sick and the painkillers that make him drowsy, and use a cane whenever possible. So now everyone is up-to-date for this post =)

Because of the surgery, Michael needed a lot of help in the subsequent days--he felt very ill a great deal of the time, and slept often. I was happy to help him, but Sunday was my birthday and my parents were coming into town for a visit, so I essentially had two toddlers and a sick husband to take care of, and an entire house to make ready for company, all as a big fat preggo.

This was going to be fun.

Luckily, I got a good deal of help. Ken and Patrick came over Friday morning and completely fixed up my front and back yards--got rid of those hideous weeds, mowed....really made the backyard into my sanctuary again. Last week before Michael got sick, the kids and I spent our mornings cleaning out the shed to see what sort of treasures it held, so really the entirety of the backyard has improved a thousand fold, and it makes me happy.

Another big obstacle was the guest room. For the last several months, it has been more of a storage space for the kids' overflow of toys and stuffed animals than anything else--I would love to have a toy room just for their stuff, but unfortunately we do not have that kind of space, so I had to come up with another solution.


As I was cleaning out that room and finding places for everything, I started decorating it as Emerald's future room. I took this really cute set of stickers that I got from Amazon on the door and hung up some sweet pictures, plus set up pretty dolls and the toy organizers....just made it a little girly.

The last really big job was the garage--I didn't know if the occasion would arise that my parents would need to go into the garage, but I didn't want it to be messy and disgusting as it had been should they find themselves out there. It actually turned out to be a fun little treasure hunt: I found a giant rubber ducky that Gabriel is a big fan of, plus tons of stuff for Benjamin that we can still use. I had assumed we had gotten rid of it all, but apparently most of what we got rid of was clothes (Benji doesn't have much of a wardrobe yet).

All of this cleaning and organizing and preparation was around reminding Michael to take his pills and making and serving meals, washing every thing Michael even came in contact with, load after load of laundry, and picking up the slack from things Mike was unable to do (like diaper changes and helping Emerald go potty, feeding and watering the dog, etc).

I guess I must have started acting crazy at some point because Michael started getting quite worried about my mental well-being. The truth was, I think I was working myself to exhaustion every second because I was afraid of slowing down and thinking about what the ENT had to say about Gabriel. We had always known that it was a distinct possibility that it was a developmental disorder that we may be looking at, but hearing loss was our last ditch hope that whatever was making Gabriel different was a fixable problem...if that makes any sense.


Anyways, all of that took us from Thursday through Saturday--Mom and Dad were expected sometime around lunch on Sunday, and I got more or less everything I wanted to accomplish done. On Saturday, I was even able to have Beth over for a bit to talk about her job, since I hadn't gotten to see her in weeks and weeks. It was really awesome; Beth is one of my favorite people.

For dinner Saturday, Emerald, Gabriel, and I made individual homemade pizzas, which they had a crazy amount of fun doing. Both kids all ready love pizza like no other, but they had a lot of fun putting on the sauce and pepperoni (Emerald) and picking the cheese off to nibble on (Gabriel). Michael was just starting to feel a little more human--his pills weren't hitting him so hard, and he was awake most of the day, which was an improvement. His leg still hurt a lot and he was having trouble getting around, but he wasn't in the kind of agony that he was before, which was definitely better.

Next post: Oma and Grandpop come to stay!

~Andie!~

No comments:

Post a Comment