Monday, June 27, 2011

Determined to Have a Good Monday

Michael had errands to run today during lunch, so he would not be home, which meant that I was doubly determined for me and the kids to have a good day after the discouraging and depressing disaster that was Sunday.

I know it is silly, but I never feel more cheated than when a day with Michael gets ruined by my bad attitude and by disobedient or naughty children. We don't get to see the guy that often--I would very much like for us to have good days then.

Since I knew it was probably going to hit triple digits again today, I went ahead and took the kids out first thing while it was still cool. We swung and read books and seesawed and play pretended. First, we were astronauts and Gabriel was the captain that had to control the ship when we lose control of it (one of his most favorite games). Then we were in fly boat, headed we didn't know where. Gabriel recently discovered that he really loves the tricycle that is back there for him, so he had me push him around while Emerald chased us on her scooter. We had little races, and just enjoyed the fresh air and getting to run around since we have been a bit cooped up lately.

When we got in, I really had to clean, so I set the kids to helping me straighten up. I was actually able to turn off the AC all morning and let the house air out--I don't like how stuffy it gets in here during the summer, and the big window in our living room really helps air the place out.

Then we got to do what the kids had been looking forward to--making chocolate swirl cake.

Emerald helped me mixing all the ingredients together and greasing and flouring the pan--I was a fuddy-duddy and wouldn't let her lick the spoon because there were raw eggs in the batter, but she didn't know any better so it was okay.


While it baked, Emerald and I did activities in her Humpty Dumpty magazine. Does anyone else remember those? I always saw them in doctor's offices, and they have connect-the-dots and stories and word searches...it gave me and Emerald a great chance to work on identifying her letters and numbers and on following instructions...she really had a great time, and it took her mind off the chocolate cake I wasn't letting her have yet.


While the cake was baking, I made lunch--corndogs and chips for the kids; BBQ chicken legs and side salad for me. I wanted to save up my sugar intake for the cake. By the time they were done eating, the cake was cooled off enough that Gabriel was able to help me frost it. I figured it would be the only thing that he was capable of helping with, but as expected, he scraped handful after handful of icing off the cake to eat straight. He is exceedingly difficult.

But our hard work was worth it, because the kids were very happy with the results--the cake was delicious.


I wanted to help them burn off a bit of energy, so we wrestled a bit afterwards, and played little games on the couch like tickle monster and buzz went the bee.


During most of the morning, they were sweet and cooperative, but when Gabriel brought me the case to New Vegas (the video game I traditionally play while they are falling asleep), I figured they were pretty worn out. Gabriel lay down and fell asleep right away. But Emerald scowled and sulked and outright defied me until I got so mad that I told her if she didn't take a nap she couldn't go to VBS that night. She happily said "Okay, I not go to VBS" and jumped off the couch. Now I am stuck either honestly not taking her and facing a breakdown because I need the time away from them; or caving and letting her go even though I can't face another screaming tantrum when we go pick her up tonight and though it would symbolize another parenting battle I have lost. I am frustrated and angry and discouraged...

Anyways, Mission: Good Monday was a big steaming pile of fail. I am ordering a full retreat for a cup of ice and a cry. Maybe a bubble bath. I think I've earned it.

2nd night of VBS tonight--hope it goes well. Ugh.

~Andie~

No comments:

Post a Comment