Monday, June 20, 2011

Birthday Lunch and Dinner at Rhonda's

Saturday, Michael stayed home with the kids while Beth took me out to lunch for my birthday--hurrah!

Sara Sue and Michaela were able to come too, and we all went to Chili's, which I was really excited about because they have this soup I really adore and a new dessert Beth had been wanting me to try. Now, this will probably come as a surprise to everyone, but I don't actually get to do that many girl lunches. No, really--they all have jobs and none of us can really afford to eat out all that often or have the time/energy to cook for all the others, so we don't get together anywhere near as much as I would like. Which makes me triple sad because Beth may be moving at the end of the summer =(

Sarah wasn't able to make it because she was at home spending the weekend with her dad for father's day--totally respect that. I wish I could see daddy and papa and everyone on father's day too, but I don't travel so hot lately.

Anyways, Beth came and picked me up right after I finished making lunch for the kids. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but there was something strange about Beth. It wasn't until we were in the car on the way to pick up Sara that I realized--she sounds like Minnie Mouse!!! She works at a kids summer camp during the week and yelled herself hoarse; I just didn't notice at first because people always use silly voices around kids, even when they are not directly talking to them.

We had to pick Sara Sue up from work because her truck was stolen last week =(

Michaela beat us to the restaurant and got us a table. The waiter looked super familiar, but maybe I have just gotten him before when we went there. Unfortunately, I am totally the awkward one that likes to read the entire menu front to back before I order, and people hate that at lunch time on the weekends--they want you to order and get the heck out so that someone else can come in and tip them. Plus, he thought it was weird that I only ordered ice, which I maintain is a perfectly acceptable beverage option.

Lunch was sooo much fun--every time I hang out with them, I remember how much I just honestly LIKE these people, you know? They are a little goofy and they have a wicked sense of humor that cracks me up; and we never have to grope for what to say because we could talk all day. And it is so much more fun without the husbands/boyfriends there, because while I like hanging out as a group, boys don't really get the flow of girl conversation and you can't be as free with what you talk about in front of them. It really puts a damper on the natural dynamic.

The food was really good, but I also love Chili's--I got that sweet corn soup I had been thinking about, plus an appetizer of mozzarella sticks. For the actual meal, I got Shiner Bock BBQ ribs, which were delicious with french fries on the side. Closest I have been or will be to alcohol in a long time, -sigh-. I love ribs and wonder every time I eat them...why don't I eat ribs more often? But then I never order them.

Sorry, getting off on my own little story there.

The waiter gave us a free dessert--the one Beth had been wanting me to try. It was a molten chocolate cake filled with peanut butter....it was a miracle. No joke. Really tasty. Beth also stopped and got me 2 route 44 ices on the way home =D

When I got back, it was nearly 3 and the kids still had not taken a nap. Which to be honest, worked out perfectly for me because I was really worn out from getting out and about and wanted to lie down as well--if the kids are sleeping, it's okay for me to sleep too, see?

Sunday, Michael and I got up and got the kids ready to go to church. We decided to go to the church that the kids go to Bright Horizons at during the year because they are more familiar with the building and might be more comfortable adjusting.

Gabriel's class was in the same room his BH's class was all last year, so he was happy, though he was confused looking for his teachers. He ended up sitting with one of the assistant teachers in the classroom the whole time, but what was weird was how well Gabriel was responding to this stranger--actually hugging and contentedly sitting with him.

Emerald was way down the hall in a part of the building she had never been to before, but several of her friends from daycare were there, so she was pretty tickled. She loves church like none other, and she was so well behaved and darling the entire time.

Michael and I had the hardest time finding a class. We don't know where we belong because we are at so many different crossroads in our lives--we are college students, young married, 20's, and parents of small kids. For the most part, there is no class that have others that are in the same place as we are. Thankfully, I ran into the director from Bright Horizons that I really liked and I asked for her advice--she dropped us off in what I personally think (don't know how Michael felt about it) was perfect for us. There were even a few people that I knew there.

I am sad that we did not do more for Michael's father's day--I hope he had a good day.

That night, Rhonda invited us over for dinner. We had pork loin and stuffing and sweet potatoes with pralines and thick country bread and cranberry sauce....Mike and I brought the dessert of strawberry cupcakes and Italian creme cake.

Guess who forgot that she is supposed to be acting diabetic? I ate like a little piglet because hey--I'm pregnant and am eating for two, it's okay to have seconds and then double dessert. Only I made myself quite ill, and Mike had to take me home early to waddle around the block.

Dinner was really fun though, and I got some great birthday presents--some money, adorable new sandals, and a sweet bag with my "W" on it =)

After we got home, I popped the kids some healthy popcorn and we watched "Iron Giant" as a family. I had never seen it before, and I swear it almost made me cry. I had to try so hard to hold it together.

Great weekend overall, and a fun send-off for Michael to start back to work on Monday!

~Andie~

No comments:

Post a Comment