Thursday, June 2, 2011

Afternoon

After the rough and tense morning yesterday, the kids and I were ready to settle down and try to regroup. After a lunch of tacos and burritos, we go back and lay down for nap in my very warm room. With the ac unit running and the fan on it was at least bearable back there, but it was far from comfortable with a warm little kid on each arm. Laying down, we start to unwind, to relax and fall asleep....

And the doorbell rings.

It was Clay, the really nice maintenance guy that we really like because he is always professional and does a great job but is very personable while doing it. He has come to look at my bathroom sink because it has been draining poorly for a few days. Unfortunately, my bathroom is right off my room, where Gabriel is sleeping and Emerald is just starting to relax.

Clay fixes my sink quickly and quietly, never waking Gabriel, which was awesome, then he leaves and I lay back down with the kids to try and sleep.

And the doorbell rings....again.

Struggling to my exhausted feet, I shuffle to the front door, where the Swann's man is waiting to ask if I need anything. I wish I could help the guy out but I am exhausted and Michael has all the money, so I send him away. Collapsing on the bed, I wish so badly to fall asleep--Gabriel has been sleeping soundly, but the constant interruptions has prevented Emerald from drifting off, so she has just been laying there for an hour or so. Hugging her close to me, I close my eyes, hoping I can get at least a half hour before Gabriel wakes up.

And the doorbell rings...for the third freaking time.

Seriously. Three times my doorbell rings all this week and it turns out to all be on the same day during the same nap time?! That is more than bad luck--that is some evil plot.

It's Rick, who is back to finish fixing the air conditioner. He said something about shoddy wiring when the ac was installed that he needed to replace, and I keep thinking about the fire hazard bad wiring poses. The whole thing is set up right between my room and Emerald's room, which means that the noise has officially woken Gabriel up and Emerald has no hope of going to sleep.

It is going to be a rough rest of the day, can't you tell??

Rick fixes the AC fairly quickly and leaves, and our house is finally starting to cool down, which is nice. But my nerves are super frayed from the stressful day--everything else going on, I just want it to be over, but we are only half way through.

Gabriel's speech therapist had left a message on my phone that she was running late and would be late to our 4pm appointment. Since I am supposed to be at Ken and Rhonda's for Daddad's birthday party at 5, this poses problems--we aren't going to be done until a good deal past five.

Speech went just fine as always, and afterwards I get me and the kids ready so that when Michael came home, we could go to the party.

The party was a lot of fun, but the kids were exhausted and whiny and generally unpleasant. Gabriel wasn't too bad because at least he had a little nap, but he was a lot fussier than normal. Emerald was having a rough time of it.

I noticed that Emerald kept hiding herself--under tables, in back bedrooms, in corners. I figured she needed to poop but was afraid; she was looking for a quiet place and enough time to be able to handle her business but people (like me) kept coming to find her. Michael agreed with me so I bustled her off to the bathroom where she sat on the potty, but she was scared of how unstable she felt and how big the seat was when she didn't have her potty seat. We must have sat there for 15 minutes--her on the potty, me on the floor encouraging her--but I had to admit that I was probably wrong because she was just not doing anything, and we were missing the whole party hiding out in the bathroom. I put her back into a pull-up and we rejoin the group.

5 minutes later, Michael informs me that Emerald pooped in her panties.

=/

I can tell she is trying. She doesn't like to go potty when I am in the room anyway--she likes me to stand outside the door if she is actually doing her business--and she didn't feel comfortable on the unfamiliar potty. She did try hard, she just still couldn't do it. One day she will, but as it is I don't want to rush her--she will get it when she is ready. She may not be ready until she is 10, but...

The kids' attitudes just became intolerable after that, so we loaded up the car and took them home. The gift I had ordered for Michael arrived--a 10-piece bar tool set, because he likes entertaining. I gave the kids a bath and a hot cocoa and they fell asleep within 15 minutes. Michael and I finally got an evening to ourselves, without the kids....and we were both so exhausted we went to sleep shortly after the kids, lol.

At least today we have all had a good night's sleep, so hopefully it will be better today than it was yesterday!!

~Andie~

No comments:

Post a Comment