Monday, July 18, 2011

8 Month Check-Up

As I will be 32 weeks pregnant on Wednesday, I had yet another Dr. Killeen appointment today.

Michael works on Mondays, so Grannymom came over and kept an eye on the children while Daddad drove me to my appointment. You never know how long these things will last, but I was happy that they got me back and taken care of really quickly. This is not going to be a long update, lol.

I have lost another pound, which means that (surprise!) a diabetic diet is not conducive to packing on the poundage. Benjamin himself is up a half a pound though to 4 and a half pounds, so for right now, we are not concerned about the weight loss. I am looking at it as sort of a checks-and-balances sort of thing, where my body is just being selective about what and where it is gaining and where it is shedding excess weight. The only extra precaution we are taking as of now is that we will start the non-stress tests (NST's) two weeks earlier than usual, at 34 weeks instead of 36. That's just a couple of weeks away, and the NST's are about an hour long each, sometimes longer, twice a week. They are actually incredibly soothing and relaxing for me, because I get to put my feet up and they give me a drink and I get to sit in a warm and quiet room and read or watch tv and just feel pampered.....but I have to worry about what to do with the kids and what not.

No one is worried about my own pica, either--I ate about 7 pounds of ice over the course of five days this past week. But to be honest, there aren't many negative side effects of crunching ice. It can affect your potassium level and it can (if done for too long) wear down the teeth in the back; but it also hydrates me and the baby, and it's not like I am eating hair or dirt or cigarette butts like other pregnant ladies with pica. So that is a non-issue.

Blood pressure is still down, but not quite so low, which means that my controlling my diet is working.

Finally, my blood sugar--they want me to take a three-hour because they want to put me on an oral medication to control it, which is much preferable to insulin (in my opinion). I still have to figure out my glucometer problem, but we will do what we need to do.

So, I know what you are thinking--who cares about all this boring medical blah blah; what about the baby?!!!?

Benjamin is growing very well. He is still head down, which he may stay in that position until he is born. But he did turn his face today so I was finally able to see it. We have only gotten one good face shot of Ben before and that was before he began developing fatty deposits beneath the skin, which meant that it was not a very accurate glimpse of what he will actually look like. This time, I got to see his precious face...he doesn't look much like the other two from what I saw, but he is so so very sweet. I adore that little belly-feller.

Due date is September 14th; common medical practice dictates taking the fetus no earlier than 39 weeks unless medically necessary, which would put his birth on Septemeber 7th. But we really won't know for certain until we 1) talk to Dr. Hales, which is...maybe next week? Anyways, until he looks at some numbers and some facts and determines if the baby would be better in or out; and 2) until we start the NST's and do the amniocentesis and really see how our little Benjamin is doing in there. I mentioned to Dr. Killeen that sooner rather than later would be preferable when it comes to delivering, lol.

Anyways, so that is what is going on this week with our Benji-Bottoms =)

No comments:

Post a Comment