Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Obstetrician Tuesday

Today, we finished the enrollment process for Emerald to be in Head Start, which was pretty boring and unnecessary--just some paperwork, blah blah, whatever. We took Emerald just in case we needed her there (which we didn't) and left Gabriel with Grannymom. Emerald was so excited to be able to go out with Mommy and Daddy and just her; she wore the cutest outfit that we just got her for school!!!

That only lasted about an hour or so, and after that we came home and ate lunch and I got ready to go to my Dr. Killeen appointment this afternoon. Dr. Killeen is my primary obstetrician. We were hoping maybe they would give us estimate on when the baby would be due.

The office was incredibly efficient today--Dr. Killeen was leaving to do a c-section but had to see me before he went, so I got called back and into a room and done all very quickly. I like that he never makes me feel rushed though; he showed me all the things I wanted to see on the sonogram and answered all my questions before having to go. I didn't feel shortchanged.

Still haven't gained a pound, which leaves my net gain at about 2-3 lbs, but nobody really cares at this point. Ben is growing, nearly 6 lbs at this point, so who cares if I am not packing it on? Blood pressure has returned to normal since I have gotten my blood sugar (mostly) under control. I tend to overshoot things and have low blood sugar, but that is a much easier fix than high blood sugar (in my opinion).

Dr. Killeen did bring up that my platelet count was low, meaning that (as I apparently was with the last two pregnancies....huh? Why did nobody mention this before?) I am borderline anemic, so I have to get blood work done every week until I have the baby now. I don't really care about that--not a huge deal--but I asked the nurse why it mattered; she told me it just increases my likelihood of needing a blood transfusion after the baby is born. Oh. Huh. Well...I guess I will start upping my iron intake.

I asked Dr. Killeen the million dollar question: When can we expect our little belly-bumbler to make his grand debut?

Looking at my chart, he said with the borderline anemia and the gestational diabetes thing, and this being my third pregnancy and us not wanting to go into labor...with a positive amniocentesis, we are scheduled for the 30th of August.

All right, coo...hold the phone.

The 30th?

You mean two weeks from today the 30th?!

This kind of took me aback; we weren't expecting him until like September 9th or something! Maybe the 2nd at the earliest, but....but THIS MONTH?!?!

So now I am having the amnio on the 29th, and am scheduled to have Ben by c-section on the 30th if it comes back that the little fella is breathing. It's partially good news--we were wanting a specific date and I am not wanting to be pregnant for too much longer; but I worry about if my parents will be able to make it out on such short notice, ya know? Or what if they do pull it off and come out here expecting the baby to be here on the 30th, and it turns out that he needs to bake a little bit longer (like Gabriel had to)?

After leaving Dr. Killeens I had to go do my requisite blood test, which took me from the fifth floor down to the first. It was frustrating because the lady sat there gabbing for 15-2o minutes while we waited...she was waiting for a third patient to come in so that she could just take us all back at once and draw right in a row, bam bam bam.

I couldn't help but think--wouldn't it go faster if you didn't waste time standing around not doing crap? And what if no third patient comes in for a good long while? You gonna have empty chairs back there and us waiting for 2 hours so that it's quicker for you? Ugh.

With that finally taken care of, I had to head BACK up from the first floor to the third, to Dr. Hales office, so that I could take my first Non-Stress Test (NST).

An NST is to monitor the baby, see how their heartbeat handles change, monitor contractions and fetal movement...things of that nature so that we can assure ourselves that our little baby is good and ready to be born. I don't know what they would do if he were unready. Leave him in there?

I actually like the NST's. I get to lay back in a really comfortable recliner; they bring me a drink and have cable for me to watch. The room is warm and cozy...I just have two sensors attached to my belly, one to my finger, and a button to press whenever the baby moves. Takes about 30 minutes or so, and it is just very peaceful. Well, sometimes. It's less peaceful when your husband is over there cracking jokes =P Nah, I was happy to have him there =)

So that is what happened today. We're having NST's twice a week now, as well as blood work, for the rest of the pregnancy, which is apparently just two more weeks!

Ack! There is so much to do, and I'm not ready!!

--Andie--

No comments:

Post a Comment