Monday, August 8, 2011

Jarrod and Julia Come to Visit

We were incredibly lucky this week to have Jarrod and Julia come to visit--hurrah!!!

Wednesday, I cleaned all day and did all the laundry because I knew they were planning on heading down the next day. Unfortunately that night, I experienced the worst pain I have during any pregnancy. While worrisome, I wrote it off as having over-exerted myself that day and went to bed.

Thursday, Michael had an awful day at work. Just him having to deal with the worst turds of humanity kind of customers, so he is was in a very bad mood. I was able to finish cleaning up before they got here at 4, bringing my wonderful and precious nephew, Andrew.

That night was pretty quiet as far as things go. Jarrod made us really tasty chicken fajita tacos, which I know--makes me the worst host ever to have him come here to cook for us. But to be fair, he is a fantastic cook, and anything he makes would be better than the mediocrity I churn out.

I started hurting again that night. The night before a bath had gone a long way to making me feel better, so I tried that again, but it actually made it much worse. I was growing quite concerned by this point, so I texted my mom. She wanted me to call the doctor. Meh!!

Michael called in to work on Friday for two main reasons: 1) Jarrod and Julia never get to visit and he didn't want to spend the entire time they were here working; and 2) because he was too worried about me to want to be far away. I felt bruised from the pain the night before, but it wasn't still happening, so I was trying to take it easy.

Friday we took the kids to Maxey Park, which was blissfully empty but painfully warm. Gabriel and I swung together and Emerald had a fantastic time on everything. The lake is horribly drying up, and it looked and smelled pretty awful. It makes me sad because normally you would get the ducks and geese and everything, but now you have receding shoreline, cracked and parched earth that is littered with sodden trash. It was revolting.

Michael got paid that morning, so we introduced Jarrod and Julia to Five Guys Burgers and Fries for lunch and watched an episode of Pawn Stars. After lunch, Julia laid down with Andrew and I laid down with my monsters while Michael and Jarrod went out and about. While my babies were laying down, I called the on-call nurse to ask about the pain that I had been experiencing. She was not from the office I frequent, and sounded uncertain and would have preferred me to head to labor and delivery to be careful. But she told me that it could be a number of things, like uneven distribution of the baby or early contractions. Her recommendation was for me to take a little bed rest, drink lots of water, wear my maternity belt when I was up and about, and to go to labor and delivery just in case.

Well, I did what I could. I have visitors, plus two very active toddlers...bed rest and l&d are just not happening. Sorry, but I just can't swing it.


The funny thing was that we couldn't find Remy all that day. That is normal--Remy usually hides out whenever we have visitors. That is normal for him to not come out for a while because guests stress him out. Well, that night we still hadn't found the little bugger, even when we had looked, so I was getting worried. Michael heard a faint mewing from the kids' closet...he had been locked in there since I had hung Emerald's dresses up on Wednesday!! Poor thing was so traumatized.

Julia, Emerald, and I went out while all the boys stayed home so that I could pick up some groceries. It was nice to be able to get out of the house and have girl time. Jarrod and I made a bolognese pasta thing that night, plus salad, garlic bread, and peas. It was a really tasty meal.

Once again that night, the pain started worse than it had ever been before. I was fetal, contemplating asking Jarrod to keep an eye on the kids while Michael took me to the hospital. Mike called into work and insisted the next day I take it easy or I go in to get checked out. I promised I would take it easy.

Saturday, I kept my word. I took it as easy as I could, didn't pick up the kids, wore the belt all day, and drank as much water as I could stomach. My ultimate goal was to get to go out for drinks with the girls that afternoon. Of course I was feeling much better, but the worst of the pains are always at night, so Mike hesitantly let me wander away with Julia and Beth =D

We went to Bahama Bucks and I got a sugar-free strawberry cheesecake shaved ice plus two big cups of ice...I was trying to keep up with my water intake as much as possible. Michaela met us there, and it was really fun. I never get to see Beth anymore because she works and it makes me sad in my heart; it was awesome getting to hang out with her.

Another trip to wal-mart that got me a glucometer, and then we headed home. We made frozen pizzas and watched "Scott Pilgrim" which they all seemed to enjoy. I only made it about halfway through before I went off for another bath. I seem to be relying on baths more and more to help me ache less. Luckily, by then I was feeling much better, just a little battered after nights and nights of pretty horrible pain.

Sunday morning, we got up and went to church. Class always sparks a great deal of conversation between me and Mike about the subjects discussed and other people's views, and it was nice to have Jarrod and Julia toss in to the discussions, too. For lunch, we went out to Shogun's Hibachi Grill, which was blissfully not busy and as always, delicious. Emerald adored their soup, even asking for a second bowl, but wouldn't touch the actual dinner. Gabriel didn't eat anything and seemed genuinely offended when the chef did the onion on fire thing. He was not amused, lol.

Jarrod and Julia and Andrew had to head back home after lunch. It was a wonderful visit--I really love that whole family, they are wonderful to have around. I wish we could live in the same town as them and see them all the time.

Well, it's about that time to put the kids to sleep, so I will wrap it up for the night.

~Andie~

No comments:

Post a Comment