Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas Eve at Gigi and Papa's

Friday morning, we left to go to my grandparent's house for Christmas. Friday was Christmas Eve--we only got the three days off to be with my side of the family.

Scoggin-Dickey was really nice--our jeep is not in the greatest condition, and was in the shop as it was when we needed to leave (as if it would have made it all the way six hours away in the condition its in anyway)--so they let us borrow a rental traverse. Normally, you have to work there for 8-10 years before they let you borrow a car :) I am pleased Michael works there.

Before we left, Michael brought home Josie's carne asada and cheese breakfast burritos.

Anways, we left about 9.30. We both hate long car rides, but the kids had really good travel bags packed (if I do say so myself)--they slept about half the way and played with quiet toys the rest of the time. We stopped at Sonic and got drinks for the road, plus sliced apples for the kids. At lunch time, we stopped and got McDonald's, but I didn't eat...McDonald's is gross.

I read aloud to Michael from "Wizard and Glass" by Stephen King, and we listened to A ChrisSims Carol on War Rocket Ajax (I just had to google that podcast name, lol). It was pretty funny--I am a big fan of Matt Fraction, who was on the episode. Very easy ride--we got to Granny and Papa's about 4.30 or so...can't remember exactly.

The whole ride, Emerald talked about how she was going to go see and ride the horses...but it was cold and rainy and drizzly, not good weather to be go harassing the poor horses at Papa's house.

Jarrod, Julia, Andrew, Mom, and Dad were all ready there, as well as Uncle Robbie and Aunt Alice and Aunt Cindy and Uncle Ted and all the cousins. Amber and Jud were taking Grayson to Abilene for Christmas morning, and Royce and Stella had to work so they kept Brian and Dominic in Tyler.

For dinner, we did Taco Soup, plus lots of snacky food--homemade venison summer sausage with cheddar and jalopenos; homemade vension peppercorn sausage; cheese cubes; veggies--tomatoes, olives, carrots, celery, cauliflower; queso; and chips and crackers of all sorts.

It was really nice to catch up with my family--I don't get to see them anywhere enough, and I missed Thanksgiving this year. And the kids just loved playing with their cousins. We had to worry a lot about them on the stairs--I didn't want either of them upstairs without someone keeping an eye on them, and Gabriel can't get down the stairs as well as I would like.

We turned in early, since Michael and I were exhausted, but the kids slept horribly. But everyone in my family are early risers, so we knew Christmas the next morning would start no later than 6 a.m.....but that's another post :)

~Andie~

No comments:

Post a Comment