Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Summer Days


The children and I are making the most of our clean, spacious backyard and beautiful weather lately--nearly every day now, we spend time out in the sunshine =)

At first, our sojourns outside were tedious--I would have to get out the stroller, strap Gabriel into it (who was usually very fussy by that point), get Emerald all dressed and ready to go, strap her in and set her up with a snack, a book, and a drink so that she would not crawl out while I searched for my phone and camera and keys...and even then, we were confined to how patient the kids were willing to be.

Trips outside to color with chalk were not much better, because Gabriel was still confined to the stroller that I had to manuever outside while wrangling Emerald and the chalk bucket, but I constanty worried that Emerald was going to run off into the street.

The backyard originally was a very poor place for us to spend time. There was stuff left there by the previous tenents that were frankly not safe for children, and it was just a little unpleasant to be in.

A few weeks ago, the land lord got a landscaper to take out some of the more unruly bushes, and upon seeing the disaster that was our backyard, ordered maintaince to clean it up. They truly went above and beyond, turning our dingy patch of grass into a sanctuary.

With generous donations from family members, including a patio set complete with umbrella-ed table and four chairs, as well as a fisher price slide, the transformation was complete. I can take a towel out there and let Gabriel lay, staring up at the sky or marvelling at the tufts of grass he tears out with his chubby fists. Emerald can color freely out there without fear of retribution--I mean, what is the worst she can do? The rain will wash away any stray marks, and she has a fresh template every day.

She slides, she plays with big bouncy balls, she chases the dog and dies laughing when she is covered in slobbery Pepper kisses. And she jokes and plays and there is none of the tension where I am afraid she is somewhere doing something she is not supposed to be. Where she is constantly on guard to not do anything that will get her in trouble, but vertibly itching to explore.

I love our time in the backyard--it opens up a whole new realm of possibilities and helps me keep calm when I feel the weight of two children and insurmountable housework will do me in.

~Andie~
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that it is cleaned up and able to use now :-) I LOVE the pictures you posted as well. Miss you. Can't believe how big Gabe is doing.

    ReplyDelete