Thursday, April 5, 2018

Unkind

Writing is how I emotionally work through what is happening in my life. The hope is that by unpacking some of this unpleasant day, I can calm my body and brain enough to sleep. I debated whether or not to identify them by name, but I decided against it--rising above and all that. I will be referring to them as Mrs. A and Mr. B.

It was a hard day today. Some are like that, I know. It felt like every part was a struggle.

Tuesday, there was a city bus stopped picking up passengers on my way home, so I turned down College Drive to pass it. It’s not a street I normally go on; it’s nice and quiet, near where Michael’s department has their supply shop. While I was driving, I saw a sign: “4 bedroom house for rent”.

Normally I avoid phone calls like the plague, doubly so those with strangers. There is this psych metaphor about spoons—you only have so many allotted spoons each day, and each activity takes a certain amount of spoons, which means you can only accomplish so many things in a day. You have to budget your emotional energy resources the same way you budget your finite money. Making a phone call, which seems innocuous, can be daunting because you have so little control over it. For me, it takes too many spoons.

But we need to get into a bigger place, so I figure it is worth a try. Probably going to be more than we can afford anyway. I call and leave a message on the listed phone number.

A little while later, I get a call back. It takes yet more spoons to accept an unexpected phone call from a stranger, but I answer. We visit about the house, size and price, what my family is needing. It is sounding fairly reasonable and she seems nice; she and I work out a time that afternoon for Michael and me to come see the house.

The woman’s husband takes us to see inside. Before we step foot in, Michael tells him that we have two older cats that are non negotiable. We are willing to pay deposits or work out conditions, but the cats come with us, so if they have a no-pets policy, this is not an option. Mr. B says that to get a family as renters, they might be willing to make an exception.

He shows us around the house and it is perfect. It is large and very nice, and comes furnished. All of our furniture is hand-me-downs, things we got free off of Craigslist and Facebook; it would be so nice to have things that aren’t falling apart. It’s a little more than we are spending at our current house, but it is twice as big, with four bedrooms. We are so excited because it has things we have been dreaming about—a dishwasher, a dedicated laundry room, counter space. This is a place we could be comfortable and happy in for a while.



At the end of the tour, Michael asks again about the pets. Mr. B wants to discuss it with his wife, but he thinks we can work something out—they like the idea of our family moving in. It is looking very positive.



We take an application, call our current landlord to ask if he will be a reference. Michael also speaks with a leader from our church whose financial advice we seek often and appreciate; he, too, agrees to be a reference, and says this sounds like a wise move for us. Both of our references are friends with the landlords, both people the couple respect. They have discussed the pet situation and we agree on an additional deposit, plus to pay for the carpet to be cleaned once a year. We are told to bring our application by in the morning and our deposit by the weekend, and we could have the house.

I tell Mom about it and the name of the couple we met with. Her eyes got wide—she knew this woman as they had attended church together in the past. Mom recommends I call Jarrod and talk before we sign any paperwork.

Wednesday morning, Emerald and Tula had doctors appointments with their endocrinologist. Tula had trouble sleeping so I was up a lot of the night before, not at my most mentally sharp. Emerald was moving slow, having to be told multiple times before she would accomplish a task, and it was frustrating me. We drop the application off with Mrs. A and hurry late to the appointment.

Tula was fussy from having not slept well and struggled throughout the double-length appointment. The doctor does not recommend a pump for her, which is disappointing but understandable. She is still in the honeymoon phase of her disease and it can fluctuate too much for a pump to be advisable.


It’s finally over, but we have to go get the girls’ hemoglobin a1c drawn. It’s a blood test they do every three months for their diabetes. Tula, who had finally fallen asleep on the car ride to the lab, was displeased by the needle in her arm. She was shaking all over and sobbing, calling for Daddy as her little arm bruised like a pear. We got through it. Emerald got dropped back off at school and I went home to have lunch with Michael.

Cartoonishly, annoyingly bad, while taking our frozen pizza lunch out of the oven, I drop it topping side down. It’s ruined. To the rescue, Michael ushers me to the car where we have a picnic lunch and listen to a podcast. It was actually lovely.

After I get the kids from school, Mom phones. Mrs. A had called her, which was odd—she was listed as emergency contact, not reference. Mrs. A had mentioned to Mom that she was going to “drop by” and visit with us about the cats because she had other interested parties. I am concerned because we might lose this house we both had liked so much.

I am out in the backyard pulling weeds to take my mind off what a horrible day it was when this woman I met literally met yesterday shows up unannounced and uninvited on my back porch. Emerald didn’t know any better and had let her in. I was so taken off-guard; she hadn’t called, had in no way implied she was coming over to my home, this place that she did not own. Our current landlord wouldn’t have sent her over without calling us; he always alerts us to visitors. Surely Michael wouldn’t have either.

This whole situation has taken spoons I didn’t have left.

This stranger says she has come to meet my cats. I say that they are rather shy and wouldn’t likely come out for people they don’t know, to which is promptly tells me to show her how we have them set up here. She talks and acts like she has a right to be here, like we had set an appointment for me to show her how we store the litter box and where we keep the cat food. Flustered, I show her.

She informs me then that she suddenly remembers that she has a severe cat allergy (which, had I known before, I likely would have discouraged her from entering the house as both cats are now actively rubbing against her legs) and they have other offers so we need to look for another house.

Unless, she leaves the question dangling, I might have the cats put down….?

The sheer amount of horror I felt at that question, I can scarcely describe. I know not everyone cares for cats, and there are quite a few that hate them. But these are my pets. I have raised them for over a decade—they are no kittens, but nor are they feeble and dying animals. They are sweet and gentle boys who spend the entirety of their day laying in warm spots and purring and fulfilling their sole purpose in life: to bring me joy.



And this horrid woman is standing in my bedroom suggesting that I have them killed because she, a stranger, doesn’t like them.


I usher her politely to the door as she continues her idiotic prattering, rattling off excuse after excuse why my nice family with perfect references and impeccable rent history is not a good fit for her rent house. With a mixture of fury and sadness, I shut the door on Mrs. A and text Michael to come home.

Michael calls Mrs. A who refuses to speak to him, just handing the phone promptly to Mr. B who said our landlord did not have kind things to say. Michael firmly but civilly tells him how disappointed we are in how this situation was handled, how they had gone back on their word to us after we agreed to their additional terms. Mr. B apologizes several times.

We contact our landlord who balks—he said they asked three questions.

Did we pay our rent on time?
Yes.

What about the pets?
I have them down as service animals.

Can they come take a look at the house we are in?
That would be up to Andie and Michael.

He talks with us for a while and then again with the couple, getting two different stories. He calls back to reiterate that we have been great tenants and that he said nothing to imply otherwise.

I am absolutely crushed. I feel like a fool. I should have told her it was presumptuous to show up at our house and to go away. I should have called her out on her rudeness.

Michael says the measure of our character is how we act when someone treats us unkindly. He wished them luck in all their future endeavors; I sent them a thank you card for their time. I also wrote this rather grumpy blog post, so I suppose Michael is made up of nicer stuff than I am.

They learned nothing from this, because they don’t see that they did anything wrong. I can’t change that. They have a right to do as they wish with their house. Had they politely called and said that they had reconsidered the cats and it was a no-go, we would have been disappointed but respected that. They could have told us they decided to go a different direction.

Instead, they ambushed me, pushed their way into my home while I was alone with my children. They lied, mislead, and told me to kill my cats, then let me know my family wasn’t good enough for their rent house.

Since she left, I have been cycling through emotions—disappointed, embarrassed, furious, depressed. I am so angry that she would think this was okay, that she had a right to act that way, and even more so that she likely thinks she did the right thing.

I know that God is gently tugging me back toward the path He has set for me; this was not a waypoint the Weardens needed. And I believe with all my heart that what He has planned is going to be so much more amazing than what we are leaving behind. I also recognize that this was a blessing, to see the sort of people these two were before we entered a legal rent agreement and were at their mercy. I shudder to think what liberties this woman would believe herself entitled to if we lived in a property she owned, if she would show this much presumption toward a perfect stranger.

In the end, I respect their right to do as they please with their house, and I understand that cats can be a threat to property in certain situations. Not every landlord wants to take on that responsibility.

I just wish they could have been a little kinder, that’s all.

--Andie

No comments:

Post a Comment