Friday, July 25, 2014

Okay

He can't grasp a pencil--
How can he grasp the magnitude
Of what he's going through?
That it will be okay.
(Will it be okay?)
How can he understand, 
He's in a world that will always be
Uncomfortable
Unwelcoming
Painful, even.
I may not know why
The caged bird sings,
But without a voice,
Without a song, 
He'll die, never having been heard, 
Understood. 
Born into a life that 
Expects more,
Demands more, 
But sets him behind, 
A handicap from birth
That he must struggle against 
Until the day it's done. 
He may never catch up,
Little less excel. 
Forget savant--
I'll take potty trained.
Not great, not best--
Just okay. 
I don't need a linguist, 
Words that craft and create and move--
Just give me "I love you",
Or "yes", "no".
...."mom".
Twenty years plus I have on him,
To figure it out, 
Navigate,
Make sense of the senseless.
But this...oh, this....
This is the hardest,
Because it makes no sense.
Forget cause--
As helpful as that would be--
And forget cure as well.
I have reasonable requests,
I think.
Make it okay. 
Make it so that he doesn't suffer,
Every minute,
Trying to survive in a world,
A society,
That was made for everyone but him.
You can't fix him--
He's not broken.
HE IS NOT BROKEN,
Nor will I be.
Just...
Meet him halfway.
Let it be okay. 

(Copyright: Andra Wearden, July 25, 2014)

1 comment:

  1. Amazing thoughts from your heart! he is beautiful and so are you!

    ReplyDelete