Friday, July 25, 2014

Nothing but Silence

Nothing but Silence

I am lonely--
Would you like to play?
It looks like you're having fun.
Your red ball goes
(Bounce, bounce, bounce). 
I can't take my eyes off 
(Bounce, bounce, bounce)
Your bouncy red ball--
Can I play, too?
I open my mouth to ask, but--
Nothing comes out.
Just silence.

No words come out, 
I'm so angry now!
I yell and I bite, I 
Scratch and I pinch and I scream, 
Because I want to play, too--
Why can't I play, too?
My parents are shushing me,
Drag me away,
Away from the bouncy red ball,
Away from the park--
I'm not ready to go. 
I open my mouth--

As much noise as I make,
Mine doesn't sound like yours.
No! 
I'm not ready to go!
I want to play, too, 
With the bouncy red ball, 
On the swings that go
(Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh)
Back and forth, and feel so good!
I open my mouth--
But nothing comes out. 
Just silence. 

On the way home,
I'm crying now. 
I fought before, but
Now it's too late;
I've given up.
Tears stream down my face,
It feels bad to be wet,
But I'm sad. 
I open my mouth, 
Then close it again. No use. 
Nothing would come out--
Just silence. 

(Copyright, Andra R Wearden, July 01, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment